Longer days, more sunshine, and more greenery — spring is a magical time. It’s also the perfect time to press the reset button with our health and digestion. We’re clearing out the cobwebs of winter, moving beyond the overindulgence, stress, and fatigue from time spent indoors. An easy weekend cleanse can be just the thing to help us gain more energy, increase vitality, clear out brain fog, and reconnect with our bodies.
This weekend cleanse requires two simple recipes. The Glowing Green Ginger Smoothie is a sweet-and-spicy treat filled with nutritious parsley, spinach, and flax oil. The Creamy Green Broccoli Soup is bright, nourishing, and hearty. Both are alkalizing, detoxifying, filling, and—best of all—super tasty. In fact, I’ll wager you’ll love both of these recipes so much you’ll return to them long after the cleanse is over.
Below is a sample plan for the Spring Weekend Cleanse. You can do the program for just one day, but I recommend expanding it over a weekend to really feel the benefits. During the cleanse, you should avoid caffeine, sugar, alcohol, screen time, and stressful situations, while embracing activities such as sleep, time outdoors, yoga, and meditation. Here’s to creating space for your mind, body, and spirit!
Spring Weekend Cleanse Plan
- Upon rising: Warm water with lemon
- Breakfast: Glowing Green Ginger Smoothie
- Lunch: Creamy Green Broccoli Soup
- Snack: Glowing Green Ginger Smoothie
- Dinner: Creamy Green Broccoli Soup
Glowing Green Ginger Smoothie- Makes two 16 oz. smoothies
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 bunch, or 2 large handfuls, flat leaf parsley
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons flax oil
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup ice
- 1 ½ cups water
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
*Tip: Peel and freeze bananas in 2-inch chunks for a thicker, creamier smoothie.
Creamy Green Broccoli Soup
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 large broccoli florets with stems, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 can white beans, like cannellini or great northern, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups spinach
- 4-5 cups broth, vegetable or chicken
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1-1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped – for garnish (optional)
- Heat ½ of the avocado oil in a soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes or until fragrant and sweating.
- Add broccoli and garlic along with the rest of the oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, continue stirring and sauté for 5 minutes, or until broccoli is bright green.
- Add lemon zest, red pepper, and nutritional yeast. Stir to mix in.
- Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Then turn heat down to low, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in white beans.
- Use an immersion blender or blender to blend soup until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with hazelnuts for garnish if desired.
For more recipes and holistic health inspiration, follow Sara on Instagram @futureselfhealth.